Recipe Take From:
Taste of Home: Healthy Cooking
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, drained
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 3 cups vegetable broth
* 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
* 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
* 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
* 1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper and bean mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and pumpkin seeds. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Notes & Tips:
This was pretty good. It's a great vegetarian soup. I try to eat meatless at least once a week, so this was a good addition to my recipe book. I will say, I didn't use vegetable broth, so mine wasn't totally vegetarian. Also, I DID add the bourbon (duh) and I left out the pumpkin seeds.
1 cup (calculated without bourbon) equals 238 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.