Recipe Adapted From:
Better Homes & Gardens Nov. 2
* 5 cups fresh spinach leaves
* 2 medium red sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
* 2 carrots, shredded
* 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
* 4 green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)
* 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* Dash red pepper flakes
* Butter-flavor nonstick spray coating
* 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
* 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1. For filling, place the spinach in large colander; set aside. In a large saucepan cook sweet peppers, summer squash, carrots, mushrooms, and green onions in 4 cups boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over spinach to drain; rinse immediately with cold water. Drain well, pressing out excess moisture. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Stir in the dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the oregano, salt, black pepper, and ground red pepper. Set filling aside.
2. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick coating. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a dry kitchen towel. (Keep remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.) Spray with nonstick coating. Place another sheet on top; spray with nonstick coating. Sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs. Place 2 more sheets of phyllo on top, spraying each with nonstick coating. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Add remaining 2 sheets of phyllo, spraying each with nonstick coating.
3. Spoon filling along 1 long side of phyllo stack about 1-1/2 inches from edges. Fold in the short sides over the filling. Starting from the long side with filling, roll up jelly-roll style.
4. Place strudel, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Spray top with nonstick coating. Using a sharp knife, score into 8 slices, cutting through the top layer only. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the strudel is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut along scored lines into slices. Makes 4 servings.
Notes & Tips:
I didn't have any bread crumbs on hand so I crushed a bunch of really yummy crackers. They were really flavorful. I really think that instead of cooking spray, I would have liked to use spray butter. I sprayed butter on the top of the strudel during the last few mins of cooking, and that made all the difference. It still wasn't my favorite thing I had ever eaten.
Servings Per Recipe 4 servings * Calories182, * Total Fat (g)5, * Saturated Fat (g)1, * Cholesterol (mg)4, * Sodium (mg)466, * Carbohydrate (g)29, * Fiber (g)4, * Protein (g)8, * Vitamin A (DV%)156, * Vitamin C (DV%)158, * Calcium (DV%)14, * Iron (DV%)24, * Starch (d.e.)1, * Vegetables (d.e.)3, * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet