Recipe Taken From:
Healthy Cooking, Taste of Home
* 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
* 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
* In a large skillet, saute broccoli in oil until crisp-tender. Add couscous and garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
* Stir in the broth, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Notes & Tips:
I really enjoyed this as a side dish. I served this with homemade oven fried chicken tenders. The only thing I didn't like about this dish was the almonds. They tasted stale to me.
2/3 cup equals 115 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.