Recipe taken from:
Secret Recipes Cookbook
- 1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar (more or less, to taste)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry pectin (used to thicken jelly)
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg or egg substitute
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
Combine all of the ingredients with a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds -Or- in a blender on low speed for 30 seconds -Or- use a wand mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Chill at least 1 hour.
Serve over mixed greens or use as a marinade. I like to add the hot peppers in the salad that the restaurant uses. It tastes closer to the original that way.
Notes & Tips:
This is the closest recipe to the actual dressing I've ever found. To make it taste most authentic serve it with the same type of salad as Olive Garden, meaning lettuce, salad peppers, tomatoes, black olives, croutons, red onion and shredded parmigiana cheese. Side note: this also makes a fantastic marinade for chicken or pork.
Photo Credit: www.metrocreativeconnection.com