Betty Crocker Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix powdered sugar and flour in medium bowl; set aside. In large bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in second amount of granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy meringue forms. Do not underbeat.
3. Sprinkle sugar-flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased cupcake cups
4. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Let cool, frost as desired.
Notes & Tips:
I just made these last week for a friend's birthday. They turned out great. I frosted them with homemade strawberry buttercream frosting.