Eating Well Magazine, August/September 2005
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, (2-3 bunches)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Place basil, walnuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse a few times, Drizzle olive oil and a tiny bit of water while pulsing until fairly smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.
Tips & Notes:
Tip: To toast walnuts: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes.
I did a double batch of this and it only came out to about 1.5 cups of pesto, so go heavy on the basil.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 83 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 176 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.