Monday, July 19, 2010

Turkey Tenderloins with Squash

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 c Orange juice
  • 3 tb Honey mustard
  • 1 tb Worcestershire
  • 1 lb Turkey breast tenderloin
  • 3 md Yellow squash
  • 1 1/4 c Chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 c Quick cooking rice

Preparation:
Combine the orange juice concentrate, honey mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Set aside 1/4 cup of the mixture.

Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat and add the turkey tenderloin steaks. Brown for 3 minutes on each side. Add the sliced squash and 1/2 cup of the oj mixture to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes until turkey is tender and cooked through.

In a small sauce pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat and add the quick cooking rice and the 1/4 cup of reserved orange juice mixture. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir before serving. Serve rice with the turkey and squash.

Notes & Tips:
I didn't really love this dish. I liked the way the sauce flavored the turkey, but I didn't like how it tasted with the squash. I didn't make the rice the way the recipe calls for. I used only 1/4 cup of broth with 1/4 cup of the sauce to make couscous. I liked the way it tasted with couscous, but the squash really kinda ruined it for me.

No comments: