- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) whole flank steak, scored
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded, inner leaves separated and left whole or chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dressing to taste
1.Make 3 shallow cuts on each side of meat. Place meat in a shallow dish or plastic bag. Lightly sprinkle both sides of meat with salt and pepper. Combine garlic and oil and press into the meat. Pour soy sauce over top. Marinate 20 minutes or up to 12hours. Wipe off excess garlic with paper towel. Reseason with salt and pepper.
2.Prepare grill to medium hot. While grill is heating, arrange lettuce, tomatoes and onions on platter or individual plates. Spray grill rack with non-stick cooking spray for the grill. Place meat on rack grill 4 to 6 minutes over direct heat; with tongs, turn the meat and grill an additional 4 to 5 minutes for rare to medium-rare.
3.Transfer meat to cutting board and allow meat to rest for 5 minutes before carving. Cut meat across grain into 1/4-inch bite-size strips. Arrange on top of composed salad. Drizzle salad dressing of your choice. Sprinkle with pepper and cheese. Serve. Pass additional dressing.
Notes & Tips:
This is one of my favorite summer salads. Slice the meat thin in a diagonal across the grain of the meat for best results.
Calories: 301 Total Fat: 24.2g Cholesterol: 35mg